Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Blind Date with a Book






By Ruth Crocker


Ruth, Marketing Coordinator at St. Thomas Public Library, Ontario, has kindly shared this fantastic display.
I love the 'pick-up' lines!! They did the display in both the Adult Department of the public library, and in the Teen Lounge. Both were overwhelming successes. Customers could not get enough!
Here are the details from Ruth if you want to try this fabulous idea:

BLIND DATE WITH A BOOK
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy. I have no cover, so read me maybe?
There’s no awkward questions, no forced conversation, no judgmental looks, no need to call. Just have a blind date with a book!
Books from an assortment of genres, departments, fiction & non-fiction are wrapped in brown paper, so customers won't know what book they've checked out until they get home. Sure, it might turn out to be a dud, or it could be the diamond in the rough you wouldn't have given a chance otherwise. There’s no knowing until they check it out...
We used a variety of older and new-ish books, classics, books we knew were good but don't see a lot of check-out action, poetry books, biographies, philosophy - the works! We also included some teen fiction in the adult display. Some books we didn't know much about, but really enjoyed the cover or title. (Not every blind date can work out, right?) Customers appreciated the variety and the opportunity to read a book they would never have picked up on their own. We had several comments that customers had found new authors and series to enjoy, thanks to the display.

We used our barcode duplicator to add a barcode to the back of the wrapped book to make it easier at check-out time. We invited customers to "Rate Their Date" by using feedback bookmarks. "Was your date hot, or not?" Each book also had a sticker on the front with book pickup lines. Such gems included:

· Don't worry. I'm returnable!
· My life's an open book. Do 'ya read?
· I've got your (dewey decimal) number.
· Start a new chapter in your life. Pick me up!
· If you were words on a page, you'd be fine print!
· It's a good thing you have a library card, 'cause you're totally checking me out.
· If I could rearrange the alphabet, I'd put U and I together.
· Is there a rainbow? 'Cause I'm the treasure you've been searching for.

We will definitely be making this display an annual attraction around Valentine's Day and will be doing something similar during December for Christmas. (Like a secret Santa and wrapped with Christmas gift wrap, rather than brown craft paper.)

No comments: