Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Unwrap the Gift of Reading


By Amanda Buschmann

What wonderful creativity and imagination there is in our libraries!

Thanks to Amanda for sharing her brilliant idea - 'Unwrap the Gift of Reading' 
Here are here comments:
'Here is a display currently running in my middle school library located in Humble, Texas (a suburb of Houston). I spun it off of a Valentine's Day "Go on a blind date with a book" display I saw on Pinterest. Essentially, my library aides chose books that they thought students would enjoy/be excited about. We wrapped them and on the covers put the following info: barcode (to check them out), genre, and good for boys/girls (middle school boys are especially sensitive about this).

It is a hit! Sorry about the blurry second photo, but I also wanted to share the "rules" I set up for the students so they wouldn't keep checking out books, unwrapping them, and then checking them back in. They have to give the book a "chance"--meaning read it for a few chapters--before deciding to return it.

The students get really excited when they realize they get to unwrap a book! I have boys who have been in our school suspension program actually pay their fines so that they are able to check out these books. Very cool! :)'


1 comment:

Krys Reads said...

AWESOME idea!
I've been actually contemplating on doing the Pinterest idea this year, but I'm definitely going to have to steal the rules so no to get everything overwhelming/confuzzled in the end.
- Krys